Stag House, Barnet
CLIENT: Barnet Homes
CONTRACT VALUE: £13.3m
PARTNERS: Barnet Homes
LOCATION: Burnt Oak Broadway, Edgeware, Barnet
DESCRIPTION OF WORKS
Design and construction of a four, five and six-storey RC frame building to facilitate 51 (assisted living C2 use) self-contained units with associated communal facilities, such as an activity room for craft, choir and yoga practice and a café, landscaping, parking, buggy/cycle storage and refuse and recycling storage.
Construction includes piled foundations, traditional masonry external walls, central boiler plant with CHP and underfloor heating.
- Site Topography - Ground floor level falls away from roadside to bottom end of site on 3 levels. Enhanced acoustic requirements - Due to heightened levels of noise around the site, above average acoustic enhacements were required.
- Overheating risk to the proposed structure.
- Site Topography - Topographical analysis of the site carried out to understand the levels. The site was then contoured, introducing a series of ramps and tiers to allow access around the site in order to complete works such as piling.
- Acoustics - The dB rating to the glazing installed was increased to account for the increased noise levels.
- Overheating - Overheating analysis completed to establish measures to be used to limit risks of overheating. Measures included the installation of solar glass as well as incorporating into the design additional extract ventilation.